Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Drunken Rambling about Munich

O.k., I'm no longer sick, but I'm slightly intoxicated, so I don't want to go out on a limb about anything (predictions wise, intelligent discussion regarding snubs, and pronunciations tips for Mina Sorvino (actually, she did a very good job, although I'm beginning to think she's really a giantess, and that everyone stands on stilts in movies when they stand next to her). On the other hand, I do wish to voice my discontent about the best picture nominee, Munich. As I posted before, I felt that Walk the Line was a money lock nomination - critics and audience goers agree. But, instead, we get Munich - is a movie a sum of its whole parts? - because the only other part of Munich nominated was, uh, Steven Speilberg. Obviously, a big part - but not enough to make a cheesecake, let alone a meatloaf - a lot of other ingredients need to go into the mix. Munich - an egg white omelet in my opinion - no substance, no ingredients - blah, or as my grandmother would say, feh! And, for an issue piece - a theme piece - the theme being if you really exercise an eye for an eye, your going to have a lot of blind dead men walking around - well, I think Steven Speilberg should find himself in the unenviable position of Oprah and James Frey - how many lies can you tell to before you have to call nonfiction fiction - and if it is really fiction, and that's what we call it - is it ok? Is a piece what we name it (fiction or nonfiction), or is it what we take away from it (a MESSAGE (in big caps) based on some truths, some lies, whatever), because ultimately, the Steven Speilberg message is premised on the fact that at least one Mossad agent had some kind of attack of conscience - enough to promote Spielberg's message - but the truth is, that didn't happen, and the reason that the Middle East is so complicated is because the players don't accept that an eye for an eye really isn't tenable, workable, feasible, justifable, and that's just it - it's very complicated, and the movie was told from a point of view that just didn't ring true, and wasn't true. . . so Speilberg's message, told from a lying narrator - is that responsible movie making? I certainly don't know, and I guess that's why I'll never write a "theme" blog . . .

So, tomorrow, sober, I'll talk about my favorite movie of the year, and in my opinion, the best movie of the year - Match Point - and why it wasn't nominated.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Match Point - best movie!? I'm going to have to debate with you (all in good fun) about that one. Scarlett Johansson is a standout but the lead guy was *not* convincing until near the end, in my opinion. And the attempts at humor - such as the scene where the detective sits up in bed with clarity - just interfered with the flow of the serious scenes. I still think WA's Crimes and Misdemeanors did a better job with this theme and left us with more to think about at the end. JMHO!

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just saw Munich on Tuesday night. I must agree, I liked Walk the Line MUCH BETTER, story-wise, pace, acting, everything. I felt like Munich tried much too hard and man, 3 hours dragged.

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home